Sunday, February 27, 2011

I was so close to just scraping this, but after adding more color and directional lines to give it a better composition I kind of like it. I'm not sure it's worthy of posting on virtual paintout, but it's getting closer to a successful painting. I really liked the contrast in the personalities of these four women through their dress that the photo captured my imagination, but I'm not sure i did them justice. Hmmm.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

And here's the second painting I've been working on this week. It is the Zippo lighter challenge for the Dailypaintworks challenge. The challenge here was to use the reference photo and paint it using only Ultramarine blue, Burnt Sienna and Titanium White. A nice little challenge in color blending, but of course I had to give it a twist...literally. Fun
Here's the next phase on this image from Romania Google Streetview. I worked into the background more and defined the gals a little more, but I'm still not happy and don't know where to go from here. The image has the potential to tell a story, but I'm not quite sure how to pull that out. I really want to improve on my figure painting, but they continue to look like "mine" and I'm not happy with that. The deadline for posting this on virtualpaintout is next Monday. We'll see what the weekend brings, but this may just get gessoed over.. Aargh.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Romania Take 1

I found a really interesting street scene on Google maps in Romania to participate in the Virtual Paintout challenge. Here's the first layer, blocking in the figures. I like the flow, but I'm not sure the figures really fit the page. Hmmm. I'll have to play with it. Maybe even to another. Also the colors are pretty much WSIWYG. I think I'll play with that too, to get a more interesting congruent painting. This scene was just so interesting. Four women, dressed from ultra-conservative and old fashion to quite the hip sundress.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Quatro Campari Tomatoes

Here's what I have so far to submit to the Daily Paintworks challenge. Instead of just trying to better the paint strokes, i tried to change the feel of the painting. It was difficult to do a 10 minute challeng in watercolor considering that you usually need to let the layers dry in between applications so that you don't end up with bleeding and muddy colors. I'm going to try some more and really jump off the deep end next. You'll see what I mean later.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

One more variation

Here's one more variation on the lines of the Imperial car image. I rotated it 90 degrees and I get the feeling of totem pole images. I think it's a pretty successufl composition and had fun just expanding into abstraction.. I guess the underlying image imparted that to all the submissions to the challenge. Thanks Carol Marine, I've followed your blog for a long time and appreciate the challenge.

Saturday, February 5, 2011


Here's what I've done for the Daily Paintworks Challenge. Then I took it out of the box. Sort of Op Art-ish. I think I may do a collage version too. What do you think?


K and I were intrigued with the Doodle a Day Calendar that Myrna Wachnov showed on her blog so I ordered two for us to jump start us each day. Since I didn't get them until the first of February I picked out 3 from January to attack. Let me say, this is harder than it looks, or else this just isn't how my brain works.
My other resolution is to try and participate in the Dailypaint works challenge each week, and also start a series of things. I'm thinking portraits, but that's yet to be decided. I'm still making progress getting organized and really that is step 1.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I can't commit to being a daily painter, but I am going to try to do more than once a week. Here's a quick sketch I did just to get back into things. It's on watercolor paper, so I think I will tackle "colorizing" this.

And K, here's a little collage that is coming your way to add to. Think I'll put it in an envelope though!. See what you can add to it.